It can sometimes be a challenge when trying to find gifts for certain people. Did you know that it has been estimated that over half the gifts given during the Christmas holidays are either returned or simply forgotten about very soon afterward? There are many alternatives to the usual sweaters that are rarely worn and music Cd’s we might give that only get listened to one time if we are lucky.
1) One new practice that many people have started engaging in is giving a charity donation gift card as a gift. The receiver can choose which charity the money is donated to, and not only do you get to use it as a tax write off, you actually have contributed to helping someone who really needs your help, and at the same time given a gift to someone who will also feel better about being apart of helping someone in need.
2) Another great gift idea is the gift of surprise. Instead of the usual underwear and tie, surprise someone with a small party or something. It would be different and they will not expect it. The gift of surprise goes a long way and is hardly ever forgotten if you do it the right way. I can personally speak on behalf of this gift giving idea.
3) Gift cards have become the norm and have gained popularity for good reason. When you simply cannot think of what to get someone, you have the option of letting them somewhat decide for themselves. At least within the bounds of the type of gift card you are giving. By giving a gift card you show that you did show some effort while at the same time left the receiver room to make a choice of what they may really want or need. Gift cards also help reduce the huge amount of wasted wrapping paper we waste every year. There are some drawbacks to gift cards also. It has been reported that millions of dollars get lost, due to gift cards that have balances left on them simply because the person that received the gift card either forgot about the card, or the card may not enough money left on it to purchase anything else they desire. Fortunately there are Internet sites that will let you cash in on most gift cards.
4) The gift of services is also a well used and appreciated gift for most. For instance if you see where someone cannot clean there house because of arthritis or some other illness, you could have someone do it for them as a gift. Offering to clean someones car or truck, or cleaning up there yard, painting, and many other services, goes a long ways. If you have a business, chances are your business can help someone through the gift of services.
5) If you feel more compelled to just stick with the more traditional way of giving gifts, whether it be a holiday gift, birthday, wedding, anniversary, or any of the other occasions we celebrate, at least do a little research on the person you are giving a gift, and determine what type of gift may be of use to them. With everyone trying to go green it is important that we all do our part and try to make every dollar we spend useful. One good suggestion for pet owners, would be to get something like a dogie bed for a small dog….or a oxygen pump for there fish tank and so on…..it would be well appreciated by the person receiving the gift and there pet as well. I once heard that pet lovers are the easiest to buy gifts for. This may or may not be true, but is worth noting when searching for gifts. Let’s not forget to be just as conservative when getting gifts for ourselves. I have purchased things for myself that I today wonder to myself, what was I thinking when I bought this thing?